Recipe // Healthy Banana Bread Chocolate Chip BarsFriday, October 02, 2015
With this dairy free & soy free diet that I'm on (for another 4 more weeks!), I've been scouring the internet for yummy baked goods. I found this recipe while pin'ing one day and I am totally addicted. As Monique says, these are great as a quick snack for on-the-go or just plain dessert. Just as they're titled, I've been eating them as breakfast bars and I find myself not getting hungry as quickly then when I have cereal or toast with peanut butter in the morning. Granted, it's probably because I eat so many of them at once! I know you guys will enjoy these too! TGIF!
Recipe from Ambitious Kitchen.
2 1/4 cups gluten free oats
1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (I increased it to 1/2 tsp of salt to bring out more of the flavors)
1 tsp cinnamon
3 medium ripe bananas
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey (agave nectar if vegan)
1/3 cup chocolate chips (vegan, if desired. I used Earth Balance's chocolate chip morsels.)
For chocolate drizzle:
2 tablespoons chocolate chips (vegan, if desired)
1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make oat flour: Place oats into blender or food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes until oatmeal resembles flour. You may need to stop blender and stir oats a couple of times to ensure that all oats have been blended.
- Transfer oat flour to a medium bowl; whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- Place bananas, vanilla, applesauce, and honey into blender; blend 1-2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add to oat flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly with rubber spatula. -
- Bake for 15 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached.
- Cool 10-15 minutes on wire rack.
- Prepare drizzle by adding 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high 30 seconds; stir well to combine then drizzle over the top of bars.
- Cut bars into 16 squares and enjoy!